Classic Toasted Rarebit with Red Onion Marmalade & Hawkshead Relish
- 50g/2oz flour
- 50g/2oz butter
- Half a pint of good Cumbrian ale (try Hawkshead Brewery Red or Gold beer, available to buy from our online shop)
- 250g/8oz strong cheddar, grated (we recommend 'Flakebridge' cheese from Appleby Creamery).
- 2 tsp English mustard
- 2 tbsp Hawkshead Relish (275ml bottle)
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped chives
- Freshly ground Black pepper
- 4 large slices granary bread
- 1 x 200g jar Hawkshead Relish Red Onion Marmalade
In a small saucepan melt the butter and make a roux with the flour.
Cook for a couple of minutes, stirring to prevent it from sticking. Gradually stir in the warm beer stirring continuously, until you have a thick but smooth sauce. Add the grated cheese and stir until melted. You should now have a thick paste. Mix in the mustard and Hawkshead Relish, chives and season well with black pepper.
Lightly toast and butter the bread, then thickly spread the mixture on each slice. Cook under a hot grill for a few minutes, until browned and bubbling.
The quantities of the marmalade to be served are up to you, but we like plenty!!