- 40 mins, plus cooling time
- 6 - 8 Servings
- 4 Eggs
- 225g Caster sugar
- 225g Self Raising Flour
- 225g Softened butter
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- 25g Poppy seeds
- 2 Lemons, juice and zest
- 6 tbsp Icing sugar
- 110g Lemon Curd
- Pre-heat oven to 180°C / 350°F / Gas 4.
- Break the eggs into a bowl and add the caster sugar, flour, baking powder, butter, poppy seeds and the juice and zest of one lemon, mix well to a soft and light consistency.
- Divide equally between two greased and lined 20cm/8" sandwich cake tins and bake in the centre of the oven for 25 minutes or until golden brown and springy to the touch.
- Leave to cool in the tins for 5 minutes and then carefully remove onto a wire tray to cool.
- When the cakes are completely cold, assemble by taking one cake and turn it upside down on a plate, cover the cake with a liberal spreading of Hawkshead Relish Lemon Curd.
- Place the second cake on top and mix together the Icing sugar with the lemon juice from the second lemon, mix to form a firm icing and spread on the top and sprinkle with the zest of the second lemon and a few Poppy Seeds.