Skip to Main Content
- 50g/2oz flour
- 50g/2oz butter
- Half a pint of good Cumbrian ale
- 250g/8oz strong cheddar, grated
- 2 tsp English mustard
- 2 tbsp Hawkshead Relish Worcester Sauce
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped chives
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 large slices granary bread
- 1 x 200g jar Red Onion Marmalade
- In a small saucepan melt the butter and make a roux with the flour. Cook for a couple of minutes, stirring to prevent it from sticking.
- Gradually stir in the warm beer stirring continuously, until you have a thick but smooth sauce.
- Add the grated cheese and stir until melted. You should now have a thick paste.
- Mix in the mustard and worcester sauce, chives and season well with black pepper.
- Lightly toast and butter the bread, then thickly spread the mixture on each slice. Cook under a hot grill for a few minutes, until browned and bubbling.
- The quantities of the marmalade to be served are up to you, but we like plenty!