- 1 hr 20 mins
- 6 Servings
For the filling
- 1 tsp oil
- 1 large onion chopped
- 2 medium carrots chopped
- 560g/ 11/4 lb minced beef
- 400g / 14oz can of tomatoes
- 290 ml/ 10fl oz stock (beef)
- Worcester Sauce
- 1 bay leaf
- Fresh thyme
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- Salt & pepper
For the topping
- 1 kg/ 2 lbs potatoes peeled & chopped
- 75g/ 21/2 oz butter
- 55ml / 2 fl oz milk
- Grated cheese
- Westmorland Chutney
Make the filling
- Preheat the oven to 190C / 375F.
- Heat the oil in a large pan, add the carrot & onion and cook gently till soft, about 5-6 mins.
- Add the minced beef and stir to brown all over for about 3-4 mins.
- Stir in the tomatoes, puree, beef stock, bay leaf and thyme.
- Add a large dash of worcestershire sauce and season lightly.
- Cover and simmer gently for 30 minutes.
Make the topping
- Make the topping whilst the meat is cooking. Boil the potatoes until soft and drain them.
- Mash them with butter and milk, and season with salt and pepper, they should be light and fluffy.
- Add a handful of grated cheddar cheese and mix through the potato.
Bring it together
- Check the seasoning of the meat, then spoon it into an ovenproof dish. Top with the mash, add another sprinkle of cheese on the top, and seaons with a few grinds of black pepper.
- Put in the oven and bake for about 30 mins until the top is golden brown and all the cheese has melted.
- Serve with a generous helping of westmorland chutney.