- Preparation time: 15 minutes Cooking time: 40 minutes
- 4 servings
- 1 teaspoon whole cardamom pods
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 tablespoons Hawkshead Relish Hot Garlic Pickle
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 skinned and boned chicken thighs
- 1 slice large onion
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 finely chopped red chilli
- 1 tablespoon white wine or rice vinegar
- 8-10 quartered dried apricots
- Fresh coriander
- Crispy onions
- Nigella seeds
- Warm flatbreads
- Lightly crush the cardamon pods then toast them with the coriander and cumin seeds in a dry frying pan on a medium heat, until they start to colour and release oils and flavour.
- Blend the Hot Garlic Pickle to a paste in a good processor, or using a mortar and pestle. Add the warmed spices and combine.
- Put the vegetable oil in the frying pan and add the spiced garlic paste. Cook until hot but don't let it burn, then add the chicken and stir to coat the meat. Add the onion followed by the tomatoes, chilli and a splash of vinegar.
- Reduce the heat and allow to simmer for 20 to 30 minutes until the chicken is cooked through. Add the dried apricots and, if necessary, a little water or chicken stock then cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Check the seasoning; you can add more chilli at this point according to your preference.
- Serve with freshly chopped coriander, crispy onions, nigella seeds and warm flatbreads.